Not everyone likes to clean, and that applies even more when it comes to jobs such as carpet cleaning. However, there are those that do not mind rolling up their sleeves and getting stuck in, which begs the question as to what advantages and disadvantages there are between having carpets professionally cleaned or cleaning them yourself.
So, in the spirit of helpfulness, we have analysed some of the major pros and cons of professional carpet cleaning versus DIY carpet cleaning.
Professional Carpet Cleaning
- Better Equipment: Unless you are prepared to go out and hire it for yourself, a professional cleaning company is certain to have better and more effective cleaning equipment at its disposal. This allows them to clean faster, get the more difficult stains out easily, and do an overall better job than can be achieved by those trying to clean carpets themselves.
- Carpet Dries Quicker: Due to their advanced cleaning methods and equipment, once professionals have cleaned your carpets, they will be able to dry them faster. This means less disruption for you or your business if they are cleaning carpets in business premises.
- They Are Experts: Knowing how to clean carpets and which cleaning methods are the most effective is a huge advantage for professionals and by that token, for their customers too. This has often been gathered via years of experience and ensures that when you hire them, their experience allows them to remove the stains, dog pee, marks, dirt, and unseen nasties that lurk within carpets properly.
- Scheduling Issues: As professional carpet cleaners may only operate during certain hours, it might be difficult to arrange cleaning times with them that suit your own schedule.
- Initial Cost May Be Higher: It is likely that the cost of hiring a professional carpet cleaning company will initially be higher than the cost of you trying to do it yourself. This could be offset by the long-term savings of carpets lasting longer and not needing to be replaced so often.
DIY Carpet Cleaning
- Can Do It When You Want: For the most part, if you are planning to clean your carpets yourself, then you can do it a time that suits you. This means if you are working, you can do it when you are home, or if it is a business premises that you plan to clean yourself, you can do it after hours.
- Potentially Cheaper: Unless you plan to rush out and buy all the latest carpet cleaning equipment, it is likely to cost less initially when you clean carpets yourself.
- You Have To Do It All: This might be the clincher for many when they realise that DIY carpet cleaning means exactly that…you are doing it all yourself. It can be a significant physical effort, and it also takes some time if you do it yourself.
- Not Knowing What Equipment Or Cleaning Fluids To Use: Unless you have first-hand experience or knowledge the chances are that you are not going to know what cleaning fluids to use, and which equipment you will need. Using the wrong ones could mean a poor job, or worse, it could damage your carpets.
- Likely To Take Longer: Apart from the additional time it is likely to take you to clean your carpets, there is going to be even more time spent waiting for them to dry. Without knowing how to dry carpets properly, as the professionals do, it means that a room or area being out of action for some time.